Episode 001 – IMG College Vice President Dan Shell
Dan talks motivation, lists and treating every day like gameday.
Vice President at IMG College, after recently moving over from his role as Vice President and General Manager of USC Sports Properties, a division of Fox Sports.
Coached men’s basketball at St. Mary’s College and the University of Oklahoma.
Former General Manager of IMG College – West Coast Conference.
In 2015 he was named by Street & Smith’s Sports Business Journal as one of the Forty Under 40.
- You have had the privilege to work under some incredible leaders: what did you learn from them about leadership?
- Randy Bennett (St. Mary’s College men’s basketball coach) – Work Ethic
- Randy Freer (Fox Sports) – Both sides winning makes the best deals
- Tell us about how you landed a title sponsorship with Zappos when you were with the West Coast Conference.
- Following Randy Freer’s advice/model
- Not the largest deal I’ve done, but the one I’m the most proud of.
- How do you approach hiring and putting together your team?
- Best person for the job
- Best fit
- Careful not to just hire someone you know
- I read where you have a different strategy for motivating sales people: can you tell us more about that?
- Sales team doesn’t compete for commissions. When one person makes a sale, the entire team is rewarded.
- People are more motivated by whether they are benefiting or costing the team than they are any other type.
- Who are your mentors or people you look up to today?
- Already mentioned Randy Bennett and Randy Freer
- Jeff Shell (brother) –
- When did you learn a big leadership lesson, and what was it?
- Kelvin Sampson at University of Oklahoma – Treat every day like it’s a game
- What habits have been key to your success?
- Make Lists!
- What advice do you have for young professionals who are striving to be better leaders or maybe even trying to get that first opportunity to lead?
- Relationships matter – key inner circle v. network/contact/acquaintance
- Where can people go to learn more about you or IMG?